Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Temple

My internet access at home has been flakey the past few days and I haven't been able to upload any photos to post. It suddenly worked today so I'm posting while I can :).

This next series of photos is from the same area of Japan as the previous post. A bus ride down the road left us at this temple gate. Inside it was not very interesting actually. At first I couldn't figure out why this would be a tourist attraction. It's just a bunch of old buildings in a foresty area. It was nice, but not that exciting.


But then we realised that there was a path leading down past the temple. So we decided to go walk down it.

We encountered this cool bridge which crosses over a small stream.

The path continues down towards the bottm of this stream. My friend was lazy and didnt want to walk so far downhill (since we have to walk back up afterwards). But I kept telling him, "ooh i see something i want to take a picture of" and headed a little further down.

A few more "ooh i need to take a picture here" led us to the bottom of the river bed:

Here is a view from the end of the river.

There is a little waterfall upstream:

Beyond the river is this moss covered path.

Which leads to a cave filled with rocks piled like so. What is this?

Turning around, there are thousands of piles of these little stacked rocks!

Inside the cavern is a little shrine where you can put in a donation and ring the bell. That's my friend Fu ringing the bell.
After we finished checking the area out, it was time to walk back up. Here's a view of some of the steps that lead us back to the top:

Along the road, we noticed something interesting. There are these stone steps that lead down. After about 7 steps there is... NOTHING!!!! That's right. If you walk down this stair case you will fall a few hundred feet down to your death. Scary!


This is for Cindy. She says I post food after my sight seeing stuff. So here was dinner for the night. We stayed at a traditional Japanese hotel (where you sleep on the floor with Futons.) This is the traditional Japanese dinner. It's a whole bunch of little dishes!
We had to eat up and rest.

Because the next day, we go to Hell!!!

I'm serious.

We really do.

We even had tickets.

4 comments:

Jane Doe said...

Hey...I have a post car from Hell! i wonder if it is the same place. Hmmm... I think the Hell I got a post card from was on the tip of Africe....or was it the tip of South America?

I love scenic views think your hike. Now I really want to go to Japan. If I ever go with Sensei T's nijitsu school, then I make sure to visit these spots!

Anonymous said...

There's a Hell in the US, too. Can't remember where.

If the stacked rocks are anything like Hawaii's stacked rocks (they share a common heritage), they're religious and symbolic. You aren't supposed to topple them over or touch them. I'm trusting you left them alone? You don't want one of those scary/annoying little girls from The Ring to follow you home. j/k

Anonymous said...

Cindy is right, there is a Hell in the US, might even be in Calif.

Cool pics, I wonder what's in those little dishes you ate for dinner?

Ano the Blogger said...

Hey Kitty Kat, wow I guess there are a lot of Hells in the world :)

Cindy - I think they are for religious or symbolic reasons, and no i didn't topple any of them over! At least I hope not!

Flat coke - The dinner was Fish, Tofu, Rice, Pickles, more fish, and more pickles! :)